Thursday, November 3, 2011

This Decision Makes Me Ill!


 



First, I want to lay some ground work.



Having been a recruiter for 22 years, with a lot of repeat clients, and having always been a top producer, I know a thing or two about sales.  Also, I know a thing or two about the psychology of people.  This is what differentiates me from other career coaches.



I’ve long discussed the two types of companies and their differences.  I’ve also taught why and how hiring authorities default to “No,” and how to get around that in the job seeking process.   Learning and understanding that is partially why so many of my clients have found jobs quickly.



And now this.  Stupidity.  A prime example of one of the two types of companies and an even more emphatic reason why the factors I talk about must be put into play before you start your search.



Thank goodness for companies like these.  Recruiters love them.  Companies like this are often the first place to be raided because of their pervasive attitude that manifests itself in so many other ways.



I’d also like to ask them “You couldn’t think of any new way to screen?  Is your business built on such arbitrary decisions?  Does your withdrawing this requirement when asked about it by the media give you any clue at all about the requirement you’ve just implemented?”



What am I talking about? 



Thompson said he also thinks ruling out the unemployed is a bad idea. But he said that part of the problem is that recruiters and human resource departments are being overwhelmed with applications for any job opening that is posted. So they’re looking for any short-cuts to get the list of applicants to consider down to a more manageable size.



Is there a way around this?  Sure.  There are about 5 ways I can think of right off the top of my head.  I totally see why this is happening, what the obvious repercussions are for those who are unemployed, and why it makes understanding the psychology and behavioral thinking process of these people all that more important if you want to get around it. 



For two years now, “good enough” hasn’t been.  You’ve needed to be “cutting edge.”  Now that’s not only more important, you better be razor sharp, and learn this skill called job seeking like your life depended on it.  Because it looks like it might.


No comments:

Post a Comment