Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Do What You Love....LOVE What You Do!!!


Here’s a quote I came across while reading an article.  I absolutely love it, since I’ve been saying it for years and it’s the antithesis of what you’ll read and find people believing these days:



Of course, no one job is best for everyone, and everyone has their own ideas about what makes a job great. “You have to like what you’re doing or you’re not going to be successful at it,” says Emily Bennington, who helps college graduates transition into careers through her company, Professional Studio 365. At the same time, “if you’re not getting paid to do it, you’re not going to love it for very long.”  



I have an exercise I put clients through that asks them to rank certain points.  The sheer number of people who place money as the first point (most important) is indicative of the pervasiveness of people still desperate, still willing to take any job, even though the market is loosening up.

Truth is: Picking a job for money = your unhappiness in the long run.  If you don’t like your boss, or what you’re doing or anything else, what you’re getting paid will isn’t enough to compensate for the loss of your happiness! You with me so far?



The 13th century poet, Rumi, said “Let the beauty of what you love be what you do.”  So...say it with me....when your work is what you love, then you’ll love your work!



“Fine Judi, I get it already! But I can’t afford to be picky can I?” you say.  That’s exactly what I’m saying!  Let me ask you something.  Did desperation look good to you back in 5th grade when someone was begging to be your friend? Or the person in college who said they’d do anything just to go out on a date with you?  Well, it doesn’t look good to employers either.



Beyond that, doing a job you hate creates tension and the duality of tension (tension is at odds with the body’s natural state of being – but that’s another story for another day!)  inevitably leads to illness and problems in other areas of your life.



In the process of working with me on their search, some of my clients get an offer for something they aren’t too crazy about but would take, and when we go through a few simple Q&As, the answer is clear that it would be a mistake to take that job.  So they turn it down.  Guess what?  About a week or two later exactly what they’re looking for comes through.



It takes a lot of guts to quit a job you hate and to be picky when you’re looking for a new job.  But ironically, that’s exactly what will get you where you want to go.


No comments:

Post a Comment